Sunday, January 23, 2011

Floor Panels - Tunnel Construction

Forgive me Father, its been nearly one year since my last posting...
In that year though, my wife and I had our first child, and for as amazing experience that has been in my life... nearly no construction has occurred on the car.

I HAVE been working on a bunch of initiatives in the meantime however(upholstery/interiors research/rear suspension), so I'll try to capture them in the coming days in order to update the blog. So now, back to work...

I purchased some more sheet metal a couple of months ago, and finally managed to spend some time working out what I needed in order to create a tunnel. Once welded in place, I'll only need a few internal fillers/stabilizers (some shown in the picture below) to knit up the floor pans, and move on to the trunk area to wrap up fabrication.
So I told myself that I would not cut out the old tunnel until I was holding my new replacement part in my hands in order to not mess up by removing too much material (how I got myself to this point in the first place when doing the floorpans!). Now that I have the tunnel ready to be fit in, I'm cutting out the old material, and then trimming off excess in order to have a nice tight fit prior to welding (shown below).
So with the hole in the floor now, I can begin inserting the new metal into place. I've left myself approx 1" on each side of the length of the part (shown in the overlap of the main cross member) for flanges to be bent so I can overlap the old metal and weld.
Next steps are to massage the cutouts at each end of the tunnel (going from a rounded tunnel to a trapezoid shape), get a tight fit, and tack the pieces in place before all of the seams are welded shut for a good seal.

No comments: